The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to international teachers who wish to conduct research on school education at designated Japanese universities as Teacher Training Students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program as follows.
Requirements For The Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships
MEXT accepts applications from international students for study in Japan who satisfy the following qualifications and conditions. Its aim is to foster human resources who will become bridges of friendship between the grantee’s country and Japan through study in Japan and who will contribute to the development of both countries and the wider world.
- Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Age: In principle, applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1989. Exceptions are limited to cases in which MEXT deems that the applicant could not apply within the eligible age limit due to the situation or circumstances of the applicant’s country (military service obligation, loss of educational opportunities due to disturbances of war, etc.).
- Academic and Career Background: Applicants must be graduates of universities or teacher training schools and have worked as teachers at primary/secondary educational institutions or teacher training schools (excluding universities) in their home countries for a total period of five years or more as of October 1, 2024.
- Japanese Language Ability: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. Applicants must also have the ability to do research and adapt to living in Japan.
- Health: Applicants must submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
- The scholarship period is the necessary period for the completion of the accepting university’s training course, which should be between October 2024 (or the starting month of the course) and March 2026. Even if applicants arrive in Japan in September, 2024, the scholarship period will start in October 2024. Extension of the scholarship period is not permitted.
- Allowance: After arrival in Japan, 143,000 yen per month will be paid. A supplemental regional allowance of 2,000 or 3,000 yen per month will be added to the monthly scholarship amount for the grantees studying or conducting research in specially designated regions. Due to the situation of the Japanese Government’s budget, the amount of payment may be subject to change each fiscal year. If a grantee is absent from the university for an extended period, the scholarship shall be suspended for that period.
- Education Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation and tuition at universities will be paid by MEXT.
- Travel Expenses
- Transportation to Japan: For grantees arriving in Japan during the fixed period stipulated in 1. (6) “Arrival in Japan,” MEXT stipulates the travel schedule and route, and provides an economy-class airline ticket for the flight from the international airport closest to the grantee’s residence (in principle, the country of nationality) to an international airport in Japan used on the normal route to the accepting university.
- Transportation from Japan: Based on the application by the grantee, MEXT will provide an airline ticket to grantees who shall complete the training course at the accepting university and return to the home country by the end of the final month of the scholarship period.
- Benin Republic: Government of Japan Teacher Training scholarship for Beninese teachers : 24 janvier 2024
- Botswana: MEXT Scholarship 2024 (Teacher Training Students) – January 31st, 2024
- Democratic Republic of Congo: Bourse du Gouvernement Japonais pour l’année fiscale 2024 « Bourse pour les Enseignants
- Cote d’Ivoire: BOURSE DU GOUVERNEMENT DU JAPON (MEXT) 2024 POUR ENSEIGNANTS DE JAPONAIS
- Ghana: Government of Japan Teacher Training Scholarship for Ghanaian teachers – 31st January 2024
- Kenya: 2024 Teacher Training Student Scholarship: February 9th, 2024
- Liberia: Government of Japan Teacher Training scholarship for Liberian teachers – 31st January 2024
- Madagascar: Government of Japan Teacher Training scholarship – Madagascar – 19 janvier 2024
- Namibia: Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship (Teacher Training Students) for 2024 – February 5, 2024
- Africa: MEXT 2024 Teacher Training Students: February 5th, 2024
- Sierra Leone: JAPANESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP 2024: TEACHER TRAINING STUDENTS – 31st January 2024
- South Africa: JAPANESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP 2024: TEACHER TRAINING STUDENTS –31st January 2024
|Application Guidelines for Teacher Training Students
|Application Guidelines for Teacher Training Students (in Japanese)
|Course Guide of Teacher Training Program（MEXT Site）
|Application Form for FY2024
|Placement Preference Application Form for FY2024
|Certificate of Health
Note: Certificate of Health must be filled in by a professional medical doctor.
|Recommendation Letter Sample
Note: This is a sample. Any form/style of letter is to be accepted.
Application Deadline: Varying by Country.
For More Information,