Prior to submitting an application for the Funza Lushaka bursary for the year 2024, please carefully consider the following guidelines:
Clean Record Requirement:
- Applicants with a criminal record, a history of misconduct charges, or previous dismissal from employment are ineligible for the Funza Lushaka bursary.
Restrictions on Higher Education Institution Employees:
- The allocation of Funza Lushaka bursaries is not allowed for individuals employed by Higher Education Institutions, their spouses, or their dependents/children.
Full Disclosure Obligation:
- Failure to disclose relevant information as outlined in point 2 will be considered an act of fraud.
Age Limit for Applicants:
- Applicants must be 30 years of age or below to be considered eligible for the Funza Lushaka Bursary.
Online Application Requirement:
- The application process mandates completion of the online application form. No hard copy applications will be accepted.
Exclusion for Those with Existing Teaching Qualifications:
- Individuals who already possess a teaching qualification are not eligible to apply for the Funza Lushaka Bursary.
Prospective applicants should take note of these stipulations and ensure compliance with the outlined criteria to enhance their eligibility for the Funza Lushaka Bursary program.
Priority Subject Areas – are subjects that are identified by Provinces and National Departments of Education as subjects where teachers are required (see next section below).
- Undergraduate studies ✓ 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (B.Ed.), specialising in one of the following Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6) and Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching (Grade 7-12).
- Graduate studies ✓ One-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) for graduates whose degrees reflect two priority subjects where one module/course was successfully completed or studied at third year level while the second priority subject was successfully completed or studied at second year level.
N.B. Only the PGCE for Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching (SPFET) (Grade 7-12) will be funded through the Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme. N.B. NO PGCE for Foundation and Intermediate Phases
Selection Criteria For The Funza Lushaka Bursary Program
Selection criteria include the following:
- The bursary is only awarded to South African citizens with a valid South African ID number;
- The applicant should demonstrate good academic ability; 8.3. Applicants should be 30 years and below to qualify for the Funza Lushaka Bursary 8.4. Allocation of Funza Lushaka bursaries to Higher Education Institution employees, their spouse and their dependents/children is not permissible. 8.5. The Funza Lushaka bursary does not fund extended programmes. 8.6. The applicant must be accepted into an approved B.Ed. degree or PGCE programme to specialise in two or more of the priority subject areas. 8.7. The applicant should demonstrate good academic ability.
- Funza Lushaka bursaries cover most of the recipient’s essential expenses. Expenses covered include tuition fees, accommodation including meals, books and learning materials, teaching practice laptop and if possible a small allowance for monthly living expenses.
- The allocation to any individual student is capped at a specific value. Where the university charges more than the capped value the bursars will have to top up from their own funds. Universities have different cost structures, so the total value of a bursary differs from institution to institution.
Application Deadline: February 2nd, 2024.
For More Information,