The Fulbright Foreign Student Program, the largest Fulbright initiative in Africa, offers financial support for up to two years of graduate study in a U.S. university or participation in a non-degree research or non academic professional program. The program’s primary objective is to enhance African universities by providing faculty members with advanced training. Applications are welcomed from candidates in public and private educational institutions, cultural institutions, independent research institutes, and professional organizations.
While the Fulbright Foreign Student Program is open to all qualified candidates, it strongly encourages the inclusion of female applicants and favors those with limited recent experience in the United States. Individuals who have received Fulbright grants within the past three years are not eligible to apply, and it’s essential to recognize that funding is available for a maximum duration of two years. Notably, doctoral candidates may need to secure additional funding to complete their studies, and there is a current emphasis on prioritizing Fulbright Master’s candidates over Ph.D. candidates.
The U.S. Embassy actively encourages candidates with disabilities to apply, offering special accommodations as needed. The U.S. Government has previously provided grantees with assistive tools such as screen readers, note-taking software, laptops, cell phones, canes, and wheelchairs to support them during their Fulbright experience in the United States.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program for Masters and Ph.D. scholarships is a significant initiative that provides financial assistance for a maximum of two years of graduate study or non-degree research in a U.S. university. Tailored to strengthen African universities by facilitating higher degree training for faculty members, the program is open to qualified candidates from public and private educational institutions, cultural organizations, research institutes, and professional bodies. While welcoming applications from all eligible candidates, the program encourages the inclusion of female applicants and gives preference to individuals with limited recent experience in the United States.
Emphasizing diversity, the Fulbright Foreign Student Program aims to enhance global perspectives in academia. Notably, recipients of Fulbright grants within the past three years are ineligible, and the program prioritizes the selection of Fulbright Master’s candidates over Ph.D. candidates. Additionally, candidates with disabilities are actively encouraged to apply, with special accommodations available, such as assistive technologies and devices, to support their participation in the program. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program plays a vital role in fostering international academic exchange and collaboration.
Eligibility Requirements Criteria For The Fulbright Foreign Student Masters & Ph.D Scholarships Program.
- Bachelor’s degree at the time of program start date
- Strong academic record
- English proficiency and/ or ability to attend a Long-Term English (LTE) Program in the United States prior to the study program.
- Additional eligibility requirements differ by country of citizenship.
- Tuition, a living stipend, academic allowances, and travel funds.
- Opportunity to experience life in the United States and share your unique culture and traditions
- Cultural and professional enrichment activities.
- Join a lifelong alumni network of global leaders.
- Pre-Academic Training, Gateway, and Enrichment Seminars.
- Eligible for alumni grants after completing your program and returning home.
- Gain knowledge and skills that contribute to your home community.
- Improve your English language skills.
- Fulbright funding is for a maximum of TWO years of funding in a master’s degree or doctoral program. Students accepted to degree programs less than two years are eligible to only receive funding through the designated period of degree completion – as stipulated by the host institution. Master’s applicants are given placement priority.
- Ph.D. candidates who secure funding from outside sources will remain under Fulbright visa sponsorship rather than have sponsorship transferred to the host institution. Ph.D. candidates unable to secure funding for the additional years will return home without completing their degree.
- All application forms must be prepared electronically, on-line application is preferred: hand-written applications will not be accepted. Candidates must submit completed application forms, academic transcripts, and three confidential letters of reference online.
- Please note that only those short-listed for final consideration will be called for a panel interview. Only finalists will be required to submit their medical history, supplemental forms, complete standardized English, and Graduate Record Exam tests.
Applicants must apply directly through the website at: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2025 .
Application Deadline: Varying by Country.
For More Information,