The Aga Khan Foundation’s International Scholarship Programme (AKF ISP) presents a unique opportunity for exceptional scholars hailing from selected countries, who lack alternative means of financing their postgraduate education. Founded in 1969 by His Highness the Aga Khan, the AKF ISP has been a catalyst for academic advancement, supporting over 1,000 students to date.
Recipients of this esteemed scholarship are chosen through a global, competitive application process that takes place annually. The AKF ISP allocates a limited number of new awards in each cycle, emphasizing the significance of quality and merit in the selection criteria.
While the AKF ISP prioritizes Master’s programs, it is also open to considering applications for Ph.D. studies. The scholarship supports education at local/regional universities and recognizes the viability of distance learning programs, provided that the course maintains a high standard of quality. However, applications for part-time programs and short-term courses are not considered, nor are applications from students who have already enrolled in or initiated their postgraduate studies.
In essence, the Aga Khan Foundation’s International Scholarship Programme is a beacon of educational support for deserving scholars, fostering postgraduate studies and contributing to the development of individuals who may not have had the financial means to pursue advanced education otherwise.
The Aga Khan Foundation’s core mission is to address the complex challenges faced by communities in areas such as health, education, rural development, and economic empowerment. With a strong commitment to improving the quality of life for individuals in both urban and rural settings, the foundation employs a holistic approach that integrates various aspects of development.
One of the key initiatives within the Aga Khan Foundation is the International Scholarship Programme (AKF ISP). Established in 1969, the AKF ISP provides financial assistance to outstanding scholars from selected countries, enabling them to pursue postgraduate education. By offering scholarships to those who lack other means of financing their studies, the program aims to empower individuals, support their academic aspirations, and contribute to the development of their communities.
The AKF ISP operates through a competitive application process, emphasizing global outreach and merit-based selection. The foundation’s commitment to educational advancement extends beyond traditional boundaries, as it supports Master’s and Ph.D. studies, including those delivered through local, regional universities, and distance learning programs.
- AKF ISP awards are structured as half grant and half loan – where you need to repay 50 percent of the award amount.* Scholarships for Master’s studies are granted for the entire duration of the degree course. For PhD students, scholarships are awarded for the first two years, after which you are expected to find funding from alternative sources.
- The award covers your tuition fees and living expenses. It does not cover the cost of international travel, clothing, furniture, or living expenses for family members.
- In order to maintain an AKF ISP award, you need to demonstrate good academic standing, as well as ongoing financial need, during the course of your postgraduate programme.
Requirements For The Aga Khan Foundation’s International Postgraduate Scholarship
To be eligible for an AKF ISP award, you must:
- Have excellent academic records;
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training/professional experience;
- Demonstrate genuine financial need**;
- Construct a thoughtful, reliable, multi-source funding plan**;
- Be admitted to a reputable postgraduate institution***; and
- Have strong leadership potential, professional experience, extracurricular and/or entrepreneurial achievements, and volunteer contributions.
Note: preference is given to young professionals under 30 years of age.
Method of Application
Applications are handled by local units of the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), Aga Khan Education Services (AKES), or Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB). Liaise with the appropriate country-level entity (see contact details below) to request an application form. For example, if you reside in India you must apply via the local office in India, or if you reside in Kenya you must apply via the local office in Kenya. Please submit your completed application to the agency from which the ISP application form was obtained. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2024.
For More Information,