The Hatfield Lioness Scholarship seeks to empower a female student hailing from a developing nation with limited access to tertiary education, providing her the opportunity to pursue postgraduate studies at Durham University. This scholarship initiative was inaugurated in 2018 during the commemoration of 30 years of women students at Hatfield College. Its funding is derived from the support of alumni, friends of the College, and other contributors who share in the scholarship’s mission.
Established within the framework of Hatfield College’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, the Lioness Scholarship aims to identify an individual possessing both academic excellence and personal qualities necessary for the successful completion of a postgraduate course. The selected scholar is anticipated to serve as a positive ambassador for her home country while in Durham, embodying the values of Hatfield College.
Beyond academic achievement, the scholarship envisions its recipients making a positive impact in their respective societies upon their return home. It is expected that the enhanced knowledge and skills acquired during the master’s program, coupled with the experience gained at Durham University, will be utilized for the betterment of their communities. The Hatfield Lioness Scholarship, therefore, represents not only a means to address educational disparities but also a commitment to fostering global leadership and community development.
The Scholarship will cover:
- Full payment of University tuition fees
- Stipend for living expenses
- Fully funded, self-catered or fully catered, mixed accommodation at Hatfield College
- One return economy air ticket from the home country to the UK, and the cost of return travel between the UK airport and Durham City
- ‘Settling in allowance’ on arrival
- Cost of UK visa and the UK Health surcharge.
- The Scholarship does not provide funding for dependants, nor for travel during the Scholarship.
- Accommodation is for the Scholarship holder only; dependants cannot be accommodated.
Requirements For The Hatfield Lioness Scholarship
- Applicants must have applied for and been offered an unconditional place on their chosen master’s programme by June 2024
- Applicants must not be in receipt of any other scholarship to fund their postgraduate studies
- Applicants must be or identify as a woman
- Applicants must be a national of one of the following countries:
The Scholarship is available for students starting a degree programme in September/October 2024.
- Hold a relevant honours degree of sufficient standard to be admitted to your chosen Master’s course ; and
- Have all other course entry requirements including the relevant English language qualification;
- Not hold a Master’s degree; and
- Not otherwise have the financial means to study for a Master’s degree in the UK.
Method of Application
There are two stages to an application for the Hatfield Lioness Scholarship. First you must apply to Durham University to study your chosen Master’s programme. Secondly, you must apply to Hatfield College to be considered for a Lioness Scholarship by the College deadline of 31 March 2024.
- Stage 1: Submit an academic application and the necessary documentation for your chosen master’s programme at Durham University; within this application you should reference your intention to apply for the Hatfield Lioness Scholarship;
- Stage 2: Submit an application for the Hatfield College Lioness Scholarship here and submit all supporting documents (Durham University offer letter, academic transcript, references and IELTS certificate) via email to email@example.com by the College deadline of 31 March 2024.
To be considered for the Hatfield College Lioness Scholarship, please apply with the relevant documentation, including your offer letter for a programme of study at Durham University, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 March 2024.
Candidates will hear the outcome of their Hatfield College Lioness Scholarship application by mid-June 2024.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2024.
For More Information,