The Faculty of Science at the University of Geneva stands as a globally renowned institution at the forefront of pioneering research. Its expansive research endeavors span a diverse spectrum of scientific domains encompassing astronomy, biology, chemistry, biochemistry, computer science, mathematics, physics, pharmaceutical sciences, earth sciences, and environmental studies. Within its purview, the Faculty hosts two National Centres of Competence in Research, SwissMAP and Planets, under the esteemed Swiss National Sciences Foundation. Moreover, it actively engages in numerous European research initiatives.
The Faculty’s Masters programs serve as an exemplary platform for academic growth and professional development. They offer a gateway to diverse career pathways in academia, industry, teaching, scientific administration, communication, media, and more. The Master’s degrees within the Faculty of Science are conducted either entirely in English or in a bilingual format encompassing both English and French. Further details about each program’s language specifications are available in their respective descriptions.
The Faculty of Science, with the support of external partners, has established an Excellence Fellowship program open to outstanding and highly motivated students who wish to pursue a Master of Science degree in one of the disciplines covered by the Faculty1. Candidate selection is based on excellence.
The University of Geneva Excellence Master Fellowship is a prestigious scholarship program designed to support outstanding students pursuing a Master’s degree at the University of Geneva. This fellowship aims to attract talented international students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievements, providing them with financial assistance to pursue their studies.
Offered annually, the Excellence Master Fellowship is open to students from all nationalities, enabling them to enroll in eligible Master’s programs offered by the University of Geneva. Recipients of this fellowship benefit from a partial or full tuition fee waiver, facilitating access to high-quality education at one of Switzerland’s esteemed academic institutions.
Candidates are typically selected based on their academic excellence, research potential, and overall merit. The fellowship seeks to attract bright minds and foster a diverse and intellectually vibrant academic community at the University of Geneva.
The Excellence Master Fellowship not only supports students financially but also serves as a recognition of their academic prowess, enabling them to focus on their studies and research endeavors without financial constraints. This program aligns with the University of Geneva’s commitment to promoting excellence in education and research on an international level.
The Excellence Fellowship consists of a grant amounting to CHF 10’000 to CHF 15’000/year (no teaching duties); it is awarded for one year and extended for the regular duration of the chosen Master’s program (three or four semesters) provided the applicant is academically successful at the end of his/her first semester of studies.
Requirements For The University of Geneva Excellence Master Fellowships
- Application for a University of Geneva Excellence Fellowship is open to students from any university with very good performance in their studies (belonging to the best 10% of their bachelor’s program) and that have completed the Bachelor degree or expect to complete it within 6 months.
- Selection of the applicants will be based on excellence.
- Evaluation will be made based on the documentation sent by the applicants.
- French proficiency is not a formal requirement for the Masters of the Faculty of science.
- A Curriculum Vitae (2 pages maximum).
- A scan of your national identity card or passport.
- The transcript of exams passed during the bachelor education, with all grades.
- A motivation letter in which you describe your specific scientific interests and your motivation to pursue a Master of Science program at the University of Geneva.
- If possible: Letters of references from two professors (preferably sent directly to Excellence-Master-Sciences@unige.ch) attesting your aptitude to this program.
- Any other pertinent information like results of GRE (General requirement examination), of TOEFL or other language tests.
Method of Application
For the application to be considered, each student has to fulfill the enrollment procedure as described on the Admissions office website.
The application is made online, from the beginning of January of each year. After registering, you will receive an e-mail containing a personal link allowing you to fill out the application form.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2024.
For More Information,