The University of Manchester Dean’s Doctoral Scholarship Award is a highly competitive scholarship program designed to support outstanding doctoral researchers across various academic disciplines. Established by the University of Manchester, one of the UK’s leading institutions known for its research excellence and global impact, these scholarships are a testament to the university’s commitment to nurturing the next generation of scholars and researchers.
This scholarship initiative aims to attract exceptional candidates who demonstrate not only academic excellence but also the potential to make significant contributions to their respective fields. The Dean’s Doctoral Scholarship Award provides recipients with financial support to pursue their Ph.D. studies at the University of Manchester, covering tuition fees and providing a stipend for living expenses.
The University of Manchester encourages diversity and welcomes applications from candidates worldwide, fostering an inclusive and dynamic research community. The scholarship program encompasses a wide range of research areas, reflecting the university’s strength across disciplines such as science, engineering, social sciences, humanities, and more.
Recipients of the Dean’s Doctoral Scholarship are not only recognized for their academic achievements but also become part of a vibrant academic community at the University of Manchester. They benefit from world-class research facilities, expert supervision, and opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration, contributing to a rich and stimulating research environment.
The University of Manchester Dean’s Doctoral Scholarship Award is a prestigious opportunity that underscores the institution’s commitment to advancing research and supporting outstanding scholars in their pursuit of academic excellence and groundbreaking contributions to knowledge.
These scholarships are open to all nationalities and across all research areas, and will be of interest to students of the highest calibre who have the commitment and desire to work on challenging research projects in a world leading research environment.
Fully funded award includes:
- Tuition fees at the international rate
- Annual maintenance stipend equivalent to UKRI minimum stipend rate
- £1,000 Research Training Support Grant per year
Requirements For The University Of Manchester Dean’s Doctoral Scholarship Award
To be considered for this award you must:
- Have submitted an application by the deadline for a PhD programme to start in September 2024.
- Hold (or expect to achieve) a first class or 2.1 UK honours undergraduate degree (or international equivalent).
- Ideally hold a master’s qualification at merit or distinction (or international equivalent).
- Be able to demonstrate potential for academic research. This may include undergraduate projects, placements, internships, contributions to publications or articles, promoting research to a wider audience, prizes for previous work or stetting up collaborations with other groups.
- Be able to demonstrate involvement in broader activities, e.g. outreach, volunteering, community engagement, engagement in EDIA and other extra-curricular activities.
Other Eligibility Criteria
Applicants must hold an offer of study at The University of Manchester before applying for this funding.
Candidates must also:
- Meet English language entry requirements as specified by the Department that you are applying to;
- Have a track record of engaging with research. This may include contributions to publications / articles, promoting your research to a wider audience, prizes for research or project work.
- All shortlisted candidates will be invited to be interviewed by the Faculty DDS Panel.
- Candidates will be notified by email.
- Interviews for this recruitment cycle will be conducted via Zoom.
- The Faculty DDS Panel will assess interviewees based on their DDS nomination form, a short verbal presentation and interview questions.
For 24/25, applications are being considered in two batches throughout the academic year running until 31 March 2024:
- If you apply for this scholarship before 31 January 2024 and you’re nominated by your supervisor you’ll be interviewed in March and notified if you have been awarded a scholarship by 28 March 2024.
- If you apply for this scholarship between 31 January 2024 and 31 March 2024 and you’re nominated by your supervisor you’ll be interviewed in May and notified if you have been awarded a scholarship by 31 May 2024.
Method of Application
Dean’s Doctoral Scholarships work on a nomination basis, the lead supervisor will consider you for nomination and will support you through the process.
It is important that you have had significant contact with the supervisory team during the application process and that they are aware that you wish to be considered for funding. In order to be considered, applicants must apply for a place on the PhD programme of your choice as early as possible before the advertised funding deadline.
Full details of our research projects can be found on the relevant department webpages as well as information on how to apply for our PhD programmes.
Contact details for enquiries
- Sandra Kershaw
Recruitment and Admissions Manager
Tel: 0161 306 4826
Application Deadline: March 31, 2024.
For More Information,